San Diego COVID-19 Funder Response Call
Thursday, May 28, 2020 | 3pm-4pm
CaliBaja encompasses the entire California - Baja, Mexico border region that includes San Diego County, Imperial County, and Baja California in Mexico. More than 7 million people call CaliBaja home. Baja California and San Diego's strong economies are dependent on each other, with a combined GDP of $255 billion. The San Ysidro Port of Entry alone experiences more than 70,000 vehicles and 25,000 pedestrian crossings into the United States daily. A third of these crossing are visits to families or for recreational purposes. More than 100,000 people cross the San Diego-Tijuana border every day to go to work. There are thousands of Central American asylum seekers who, under the U.S. "Remain in Mexico" policy are awaiting their U.S. court hearings in Baja California cities. Our region, its people, and our markets are fluid and interdependent.
California and Baja California have some of the highest numbers of COVID-19 cases of any state in their respective countries. The primary strategy to save lives during this pandemic has been isolation. At the border, this has meant restricting movement among our two countries, affecting both states negatively socially and economically.
How can grantmakers support the CaliBaja region and its people move through this health and economic crisis?
- Amb. Carlos González Gutiérrez, Mexican Consular General, San Diego
- Paola Avila, Vice President, International Business Affairs, San Diego Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Marcela Merino, Executive Director & Dr. Esther Oviedo, Program Coordinator at Fronteras Unidas Pro Salud
- Paulina Olvera Cáñez, Espacio Migrante
- Eliza Brennan, International Community Foundation
Visit Philanthropy California's COVID-19 funder resource page to stay up to date on statewide responsive funds.
View this page for recordings and resources from previous calls:
- March 19, 2020: COVID-19 Response Funds
- March 26, 2020: Childcare response & data about nonprofit stability
- April 2, 2020: Public Response Funds and how NGOs can access them
- April 9, 2020 from 3-4pm: Homelessness
- April 16, 2020 from 3-4pm: Food Systems, Workers, Access, and Security
- April 23, 2020 from 3-4pm: The Science of COVID-19
- May 7, 2020 from 3-4pm: Bridging the Digital Divide
Upcoming Call Dates:
- May 28, 2020 from 3-4pm
- June 11, 2020 from 3-4pm